Friday 22 June 2012

Studying at VU

Studying at VU was very similar to studying at BU in the wya that classes were run and the use of Blackboard. However there were one or two differences


BU Classes

Unlike BU, I had to create my own timetable for VU by looking at what subjects I wanted to take and then working out my own timetable so it all fitted in. This proved to be a nightmare as alot of them clashed or were on fridays when I really didn't want to be in Uni! Also it was very difficult to put this onto the VU website as many of the classes said they were 'full.

The sizes of classes were quite good with each tute only having about 15-20 people in them so very similar to home. This also meant that the tutors got to know you individually.

Lectures
 The lectures normally lasted 2 hours but always finished early.
What was odd was a lot of students walk in to lectures late and when I mean late I’m talking 1 hour! Also they would just get up and walk out when they felt like it!
However, the lectures are very similar to BU and done with the projector.

Students in the classes
As you can choose any subject at any level, a lot of my classes were filled with first years.
At VU there are a lot of International students but in most of my classes I got to learn with Australians which was nice.

Homework
At VU, for each class, homework was given

Assessments
I had 22 different assessments over 4 months at VU!

Grades
Instead of First, 2:1, 2:2, third grades VU has Pass, Credit, Distinction and High Distinction. HD is 80% + and a Pass is 50% +.

SUVU
The Student Union was great as every few weeks they would serve free alcohol and food at Uni! Occasionally there would be candy floss and popcorn handed out for free too J



No comments:

Post a Comment